Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Health and Animals




At a surface level health starts with doing the right things for your body...But for all who have trained we know that it's much more than that. It includes mental health and spiritual wellbeing. For lack of a better term it is a holy trinity. Look for opportunities to evolve, keep your body healthy, your mind clear and you/we should be happy.

When we are happy we achieve a lot more....There is a sense of deliberateness to our actions. Less dragging of feet and more willingness to try. I think this is the key to creating a successful training program and when i set up a training program with a client, the introduction revolves around these principles.

However, this is not the point i wanted to make. For me part of being mentally healthy is feeling like i am progressing or contributing to change for the better, on whatever scale I can. It's like Ralph Emerson once said, "make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you". We can do this in our daily choices and one decision that I make is to not eat meat. Now I am not one tell another that there actions are right or wrong, but for me not eating meat helps me feel like i am keeping my mind healthy (along with other things), it keeps my conscious clear.

I have my own personal reasons not to eat meat, as many of you will have your personal reasons to eat it, and that is fine. However it is important to consider how our food is farmed. The conditions of the animals life and slaughter. Has the pig/cow/chicken/calf/fish been happy in life? Or where they raised in a farm cage the size of your wardrobe for three to four years? Simply put, (for me) as long as we can inflict cruelty on such large scales with such disregard for life to animals we can still do it to each other. To consider this just think back to the Jewish war camps of Nazi Germany. You have to wonder, did that inspire western farming or did western farming inspire the war camps?

So this piece of writing is a bit all over the place. I start of talking about health and then talk about vegetarianism and some how throw in the Nazi's. How does it all relate? To be honest it doesn't. I just want to plug two things that I am passionate about. Health and animal welfare. I ate a bit of pig the other day so I am cleaning my conscious.

Here are some of my resources. Enjoy.

This is the vid that inspired me to finally stop eating meat





A good scientific back ground to protein


more good resources on education, animal welfare etc












No comments:

Post a Comment